Tuesday 14 July 2009

Back to school...



I suddenly have this urge to learn something from scratch, something entirely new. An epiphany dawn on me that I have not acquired new skills/knowledge for a long long time - probably since high school. We have always been building on what we have learnt previously, we just go more in depth as we go further up the education ladder. I suddenly miss this feeling of being in an unknown world - exploring, learning, seeing.

So I enrolled myself onto a course that I (and most girls) am interested in but have not had any hands-on experience - Fashion Design at Central St Martin's, London. This is a 3 week summer course and the outline of the course is as below:

Week 1: Research
Week 2: Illustration (translating ideas into 3D form)
Week 3: Presentation (collection of 6)

I have just finished my first week of researching - basically this is all about finding things you are interested in/that inspire you and then turn these research materials into a subject that you can work on for the next two weeks to create a collection of 6 at the end.

So I went round London looking for interesting things, taking plenty of photos and going to museums/exhibitions/markets (suggested by our tutors) to find things that inspire us. Went to:
- Tate Modern
- Hayward Gallery: "Walking in my mind" exhibition (EXCELLENT - it's a must see if you are in London: http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/festivals-series/walking-in-my-mind)
- V&A Museum
- Spitalfields market
- Bricklane

I already found this a very interesting experience, though not sure this is for me... as I was told I can't be a perfectionist, I can't group things together (which means I can't really think logically) and I should just "mess things up a bit" - which i have no clue what she meant... so here you go - I am probably not arty-farty enough. But it's fun though, it's fun to see how people in the fashion world think and how they come up with different ideas for their collections.

Right - will update you at the end of my 2nd week - started doing some draping now.

1 comment:

  1. Messing up is unlearning a life's training of being responsible and organized, the old age value of moving in a linear vertical fashion. It entails painful self doubts, agony but ultimately exhilaration.

    ReplyDelete